Wednesday, August 29, 2012

more from Proverbs on joy

A joyful heart is good medicine,
But a broken spirit dries up the bones.


I learned a little song when I was a kid with the lyrics from this verse from Proverbs - "a merry heart doeth good like a medicine" (that's the KJV translation). I remember thinking at the time that it was a weird thing to say, because most kids don't like taking their medicine. But I get the feeling that joy isn't the kind of medicine you make a face about when you take it though later it makes you feel better; it is good for you every step of the way. Joy is a good remedy for whatever ails your spirit. On the other hand, when our spirit is broken, the effects pervade our whole being, even our bodies. I have discovered that personally in dealing with chronic pain over the past couple of years. I am doing much better now, but I had to learn that our emotions and our bodies are much more tightly connected than I would have ever thought before. I find that music, especially praise and worship music, helps to lift my spirits and bring me the medicine of joy. What makes you joyful?

No comments:

Post a Comment